Tuesday, 20 December 2016

Found in Translation

My many atempts to try to translate the works of Rabbi Abraham Abulafia define the stepping stones of my journey to date. Each time I failed I have come away with more knowledge and determination.

The current (5th) attempt to translate "Gan Na'ul" (The Sealed Garden) is gaining momentum and I have managed to read further in the book than previous attempts. It's a commentary on Sefer Yetzira (Book of Formation) and hence expects the reader to be familiar with this work.

A friend on facebook shared a link on a 1-day conference titled: "Western Esotericism and the Art of Translation" at the Open University in Israel. It would be awesome to attend. But even if I cannot go - I will draw inspiration from the fact that this topic of translation of esoteric material is the focus of debate.