Monday, 28 November 2016

Becoming More Golem-Like


Having looked back at the past 6 years of postings on this blog, it’s pretty safe to conclude that:
  1. I have written a lot of rubbish over the years
  2. Projects are a useful vehicle for initiating and tracking work (even if they are only sometimes successful and
  3. The study and practice of Kabbalah – in particular Sefer Yetzira, Book of Creation, is hard
I just want to elaborate a bit on the third point. Basically the problem domain can be broken down in a number of different parts:
  • A. Translating the text
  • B. Understanding the text at a basic level
  • C. Understanding the commentaries
  • D. Practising the techniques
  • E. Measuring progress
Whilst initially I thought that A to C would be challenging, it’s actually D and E that are the hardest. The techniques, for which I use the head movements, breathing, and chanting as taught in the writings of Abraham Abulafia, take a really long time.

It’s only when I try to use the techniques to solve a particular problem such as boosting the success of an American football team or finding a job or creating an amulet for a specific purpose – that it’s possible for me to get a good idea of how much or little I have progressed. Hence why I use projects as a vehicle for initiating and tracking progress, it’s a familiar way for me to package up and execute change in the world.


So what do the next six years have in store? I think probably a lot more of the same. But this time I am hoping to be more focused.

Life in this day and age is filled to the brim with distractions. Work emails coming in night and day, binge-watching on Netflix is the norm, Steam gaming portal has endless hours of distractions, not to mention the essentials such as work, family, and religious practice.

Over the past five years I have attempted to reduce my comfort zone as much as possible, to expose myself to ideas and views that challenge my world view, as well as reduce time on the things allow me to withdraw from the world (so to speak). Now my life has become a little more focused on a few things, rather than less focused on more things. My goal of having my evenings taken up only with study and meditation is drawing closer – although I will maintain some balance with other activities such as sport & socializing.

In summary perhaps the study of golem building has made me a little more boring, one-dimensional, and perhaps golem-like. But in order to advance in my study and practice of Jewish magic – more single-minded focus is required.