Tuesday, 13 September 2016

Tension at the Cross-roads

Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan writes in his Sefer Yetzira book in section 1.3:
“…When the Sefirot are in their normal state, arrayed in three columns, they are in a state of equilibrium. But when the Sefirot of the central column are moved to the right and left, so as to divide the Sefirot in to two arrays, a powerful tension is produced. When they are in such a mode, powerful spiritual forces can be directed and chaneled...”
States of tension exist throughout our daily lives to a greater or lesser extent depending on the influences in our lives and our personal decisions. Right now there is a significant amount of creative potential in my life due to some recent decisions I made in the past half year. I’m wondering how long the state can be maintained for and what the long terms effects are.

It’s another journey through the cross-road for me. My teacher and I parted ways literally due to the distance in space that has opened up between us. We can stay in touch via electronic means, but I always feel like there is a huge part of communication that is lost this way.

Now there are other teachers in to whose presence I may become a regular visitor. By presence I don’t just mean in the classroom, but in to their homes to observe and learn. There is a story of a chassid who travelled a long distance just to learn how his teacher tied his shoes. Thankfully at this stage in life I know how to tie my shoe laces, however I believe that there is a great deal to be learned from how someone is present in each moment. Whether that is teaching about secret Divine names or how to crack a nut.