Thursday, 7 July 2016

Taking Five

No PM

In a previous job, I questioned the value of the project manager (PM) role that I was employe to do. Actually I question this every day on my way to work, and plenty of my colleagues also question whether PMs are a necessary evil or a waste of time & money.

But when I saw a project progressing without the coordination and management of a PM - it was obvious what difference having a good PM made to having no PM at all. Nobody knew how the project was prorgessing, issues kept coming up that could have been dealt with easily with a bit of forward focus, and the requirements were constantly being added to resulting in massive cost over-runs.

In some companies that is not a problem. They have the money to keep a project like this going. But in most places where I have worked there is oversight of what is being done, when it needs to be done by, and how much it will cost.

NO TGB

The way that I put my knowledge of Sefer Yetzirah in practice is a layered approach. Psalms, letter permutation, prayer, studying certain tracts of oral law, visionary approaches, letter permutation with Divine names, etc.

But sometimes it's hard to know if adding or removing techniques is having a measurable effect. Perhaps it would help if I kept a better diary and to be honest I am starting to question whether or not I have developed an over-inflated perception of the effects of any of my practices.

So I'm going to stop all practies that relate to certain areas of focus for a period of time (6 months) and see what effects, if any, I may have had. It's a slightly complicated way of saying "I'm not going to do magic in area X and see what is different"**.

** - In no event will Trainee Golem Builder author(s) be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of life or money arising out of, or in connection with, the the cessation of magic in maintaining stability in this corner of the globe.