Sunday, 29 May 2016

Forward Momentum


Meditation as Fire-walking
“The floor is made of lava”. Ever play that game as a child? The aim is to get from one point of the house to another without touching the floor. It’s best not to play it near breakables or furniture with sharp edges.

Whilst this is a cute analogy to introduce the dangers of Practical Kabbalah, it’s also a rubbish analogy. There are techniques that carry less risk and those that carry more risk. Warning are often about people dying suddenly whilst relatively young. Even Umberto Eco’s “Foucault's Pendulum” contains a warning about the risks of letter permutation.

So when it gets late at night and the rest of the household has gone to sleep. I tell myself “Why not watch another episode of Doctor Who? It’s safer than navigating the lava”. Cue reference to fear being the mind killer, but again this is not a good analogy.

Anyway, all this waste of ink is me reminding myself why I do this. Why a project manager spends countless hours on trains and at home reading and practising meditations (or not as is often the case). I do it because I must.

Going Back to Earlier Sources
No, not because older is cooler – but because in order to understand later sources… you sometimes need to understand how they built on earlier sources. For example, this audio by prof. Moshe Idel talks about why Abraham Abulafia is the latest bandwagon everyone is jumping on. I love a bandwagon, and sure enough I’ve got half way through Chayeh Olam Ha-Bah (Life in the World to Come).

The trouble is that Prof. Elliot Wolfson points out that to understand Abulafia, you first need to have studied Sefer Yetzirah (Book of Creation) and read works by Rabbi Ealzar of Worms. Whilst I have done some of the former (2 commentaries on SY), I’ve yet to start on the latter even though it’s been on my to-do list for awhile (close to 4 years).

Tzedek Update
Last Thursday was Lag B’Omer. Nothing else special happened except that I seem to keep winning Lucky Dips (2 numbers) but nothing more significant than that.

OPEN Thread
This blog has been quiet for a bit as there seems to be some odd activity going on term of frequent visitors from the USA. By frequent I mean nearly the same number of page views on a regular basis, see image below.

So either it’s bots (most likely) or suddenly this blog has got an extra visitor (unlikely). Just in case it’s the latter – please consider this post an OPEN thread. Leave a comment below and I’ll try to answer any questions, feedback, smack talk in the next few days.