Sunday, 6 March 2016

Project update: 10 Psalms for 10 Days

This project is officially completed, but none the less I have continued with reciting 10 Psalms as outlined in the Tikkun Klali (General Rectification) from Rabbi Nachman of Breslov.

One of the tricky parts to measuring success (or lack thereof) is to work out what measures to track. For example, schools in UK had numbers tracked on pss rates of exams. These in turn changes form measures in to targets. Now it’s all about getting the right results as opposed to producing well-rounded individuals. Parents in turn have come to see the school as service providers and relationships are breaking down between the community and schools. This in turn leads to those who can afford it hiring tutors and the circle gets more viscous with each iteration.

Anyway, getting back to the results of the 10 Psalms in 10 Days. The aim of the exercise was to have a “significant impact on behaviour patterns”. It did, but not in the way that I was expecting.

Previous to this exercise I was commuting 4 hours a day to a job that was stressful but not overly demanding. Since the 10 Psalms in 10 Days has started I have moved to a different job with slightly reduced commute time and the number of change-overs between trains, buses, and tube trains has also significantly reduced. On the other hand, the amount of stress and work has increased by a significant amount. I’ve had a couple of evenings where I did not have to catch-up on the work, but for the rest of the time I now spend my train journeys and evenings doing more work.

One of the primary effects that this has had is that I simply do not have time to invest in any of the behaviour patterns that I am trying to remove. When I do get the time late at night, the desire is reduced. This to me is the critical part of the success. It was not about trying to change behaviour loops through techniques outlined in “The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business” by Charles Duhigg. Rather the aim of the working was to change the desire itself which triggered the patterns. Using that as a measure of success, the change in the desire levels, the working was a success.