Friday, 16 October 2015

learning and livelihood


This is a brief blog post as it's posted from my phone....

Responding to a couple of posts on the issues with students today and whether it is possible or desirable to earn a livelihood from magical practices, here are my thoughts.

1. Wisdom

Pirkei Avot [Ethics of the Fathers] 4:1 states "... Ben Zoma would say: Who is wise? One who learns from every man. As is stated (Psalms 119:99): "From all my teachers I have grown wise, for Your testimonials are my meditation."..."

Every interaction is a learning opportunity. King David called someone his teacher for teaching him even a single letter. The thing to remember is to have space not occupied by ego to allow for new ideas and concepts. Hence "Kabbalah" meaning received tradition, but also IMO receptive to teaching.

Talmud Ta'anit 7a states "...R. Chanina remarked, "I have learned much from my teachers, more from my colleagues, and the most from my students"..."

If a person has set themselves up as a teacher and understand that they learn from their students via teaching them... then they are missing the point of the first quote. Sure, you're learning by teaching - but you can also learn from your students when not teaching.

2. Livelihood

As to the question if a person can make a living as an occult practitioner by being an author, tarot reader, astrologer, teacher, etc. The real question is my opinion should be rephrased as: CAN I MAKE A LIVING FOLLOWING MY PASSION?

Regardless of whether it is focused on occult path or bolstered by occult techniques... looking at the question in terms of a livelihood from one's passions hopefully forces a person to look at market conditions, budgets & forecasts, marketing, etc. All necessary to sustaining a strategic plan for one's livelihood.

OK, perhaps not as short a post as I would have liked.

One more thing if you are a teacher... please, please, please read Seth Godin's "The Dip". If you do not understand this simple teaching about why so ofew people become excellent in their chosen field - you will never succeed in being a successful teacher aside from the few exceptional students who will succeed in spite of you.