Wednesday, 22 October 2014

Calling about the Seven Doubles

"Tet, Aleph, Aleph.. wat's your tsoross?" Rabbi Bar-zel Arieh Tzion answers with a tired voice.

"Uh, Rabbi it's me," I answer wondering for the seventh time whether calling him was a bad idea or not.

"Shimonelle," he sounds genuinely pleased to hear my voice. "Nu? How's my favourite talmid [student]?"

"Uh," now he's got me really worried. "Fine, just fine, thank Heaven. I had a question about chapter four from Sefer Yetzirah [Book of Formation]. It's about a difference of attribution between the seven double letters, the planets, letters, and sefirot."

"Och, that's an easy one. Simplez." he chuckles as he tries to slip in a bit of what he thinks is slang. "Just noch a minute, I wanted to ask you about this Farspace you have been watching."

"Farscape," I quietly correct him, my mind racing to avoid several dark corners.

"Firescape, yes that is the one. Why does John Klingon have this Scorpion in his head and is also a man on the outside of him? Seems to me he is either a yetzer [spiritual force/urge] or a shed [type of demon]. Rashi says in this week's parsha Noach, even the shedim got a ride in the teva [ark]."

"Uh," I hesitate as one of the dark corners in my mind coalesces in to a worm-hole. "Where are you going with this Rabbi?"

"Och, it's nothing." He sighs, disappointed that I have failed to pick up whatever he has tried to hint at. "We read every morning, 'Shnei Ketuvim... Two passages contradict one another and a third comes to reconcile between them'. So nu.. you have Ramak [Rabbi Moshe Cordovero] saying one thing and [Rabbi Chaim] Vital paskening [ruling] another way... now look for a third to reconcile between them".

"Uh, thank." I start to put down the phone receiver, not really sure if that vague advice was worth the price.