Tuesday, 9 September 2014

September Mini-Reviews

Jason just posted about keeping a balance between time, money, and attention. The way that I view it is that there are a number of plates that I need to keep spinning in my life: Family, work, studying, friends, meditation, finances, romance, parenting, etc (in no particular order). I can only focus on keeping a few of those well balanced and the others I just need to pick up and get spinning once in awhile.

Story reviews

Anyway, I digress before even getting in to the point of this post. Because my time is taken up with a lot of commuting (4 hours a day) and hence that is when my study time is... I don't have a lot of time for blogging. Therefore I am lumping a number of reviews all together. My apologies for the people whose work are mentioned - you deserve a more in-depth review.

1. Mechanicals by Jordan Stratford (5/5)
Starting with the best first. This book was my first Steampunk novel and I thoroughly enjoyed the journey that the protagonists took in their journey. Along the way they encountered a number of people whose name will ring a bell with those familiar with historical figures in the occult world. What I really loved were the descriptions of how one of the characters learned to operate a mechanical, when some others encountered a doll that was not all it appeared and how a demon made two weeks seemingly disappear. Really exhilarating adventure but it ended a little too abruptly. I hope a sequel is in the works.

2. Alice Adventures in Steamland: Clockwork Goddess by Wol-vriey (2/5)
Whilst the former novel had a character with a bit of a virgin theme, this novel's main character is a prostitute and there was plenty of sex. Now, I don't mind sex in a novel if it's done well - but this was not the case for this novel in my opinion. If you fancy a spunky (literally) heroine in a gore-filled version of Wonderland with steam, cake, icing, hatters, more icing, a clockwork goddess - this is the novel for you.

3. Joe Golem and the Copper Girl: A Short Story by Mike Mignola (5/5)
Having done the good and the bad, it's now the turn of the ugly. Except that the only ugly thing in this short story are the looks of the hero and the ugly side of human nature. Thoroughly enjoyable story set in the drowning city (reviewed here). Although the city was not described in as vivid detail as I might have liked (I find the setting to be as interesting a character as the protagonists or villains - for example my favourite character in Farscape if Moya) it was a beautifully written and moving short story.

Meditation Review

Getting back in to basic letter meditation. Going well so far. Considering that I am now reading through chapters 3 and 4 of Rabbi Moshe Cordovero's "Ohr Yaka" commentary on Sefer Yetzirah - I should hopefully get in to the more involved letter combination meditations in the coming months. Lots of exciting stuff on the horizon.

The Lions 

Unfortunately I will not be able to actively provide any aid to the Detroit Lions football team this year, seeing as I am currently a theoretical golem builder. However, there were two techniques that I used in the first year of the Lion Who Roared project that seemed to have a big impact. One was a meditation on the Divine Name of 72 triple letters. The other was refraining from certain activities.

In Judaism there was a number of positive and negative commandments. There are 613 in total and 248 positive (do something) and 365 negative (do not...) commandments.

So this year I will be putting special emphasis and focus on one of the "do not" commandments. Let's see if that has any passive boost to the performance of the Lions as I seem to have some level of entanglement with them. I call this not-a-project "An awesome lion, who dares rouse him?"