Friday, 9 May 2014

Mechanics versus Living Interactions, and launching a new project

The recent bloggers conversation about Jupiter - in particular reading the updates by Andrew, Rose, and Moloch - made me realize how much my learning and practice has been focusing on the mechanics and metaphysics of creation through the lens of Sefer Yetzirah (Book of Formation). And not about the living interplay of forces and entities...

Let me try to illustrate it with an story... my first job was as a scientist, then moved on to computing (programming), and finally fell in to project management by mistake. What I realized after awhile as a project manager is that it's not about managing projects - rather it's about managing the people who work on the projects. That was quite a revelation and unfortunately one that only some project managers make.

You see I spend a lot of time trying to figure out how things work and why. Not everything mind you, that would drive even me crazy. But in certain subjects I don't just want to know a deep level, I have a strong drive to learn it inside and out. So I learned one aspect of science and computing at a deep level - at what I call the theoretical and mechanical levels. How the nuts and bolts fit together to make the whole work.

For the last five years or so I've been trying to learn Sefer Yetzirah (Book of Formation) to understand this ancient book of Jewish metaphysics. Recently I have been focusing on chapters 1 (about the Sefitor) and 2 (about the division of the letters and how to use them in meditation).

However, whilst in the world of work where I have transitioned from learning about the internals of the systems to how they interact via people - I have yet to make the transition in the study of magic from the internals of the systems to the interactions of people and entities.

So when Rose and Moloch speak about their experiences of interacting with Jupiter, I realized just how much that contrasted to my post about the mechanics of using Jupiter's influence. It's like the difference to looking at an IT infrastructure projects from the point of view of servers, software, networks, etc. Compared with looking at how the system is used by people and how they interact via the systems.

I must admit that reading Josephine McCarthy's books has had a significant impact in helping transform my understanding of Kabbalah as a mechanical system to a living interplay of entities and forces. Thank you Josephine, I'll get there in the end.


So now what? Well, realization is one thing, acceptance is the next and then it's on to Plan - Do - Check - Act. Fortunately here is a plan that I made earlier but never got around to actualizing. So please consider this the official launch of Project TARDIS-AS.
Scope: To travel through the spiritual realms with Rabbi Avraham Abulafia.
Time: Unknown, current best guess 6-18 months.
Cost: Lots of time for meditation! Plus buying the remainder of the Abulafia books published by Amnon Gross.
Quality: The aim of this work is to travel in a Dr. Who style TARDIS. Except that it is made up of Hebrew letters, has 221 gates and is able to not only travel in "time and relative dimension in space (TARDIS)" but travel through the dimension(s) of spirit. Instead of taking Dr. Who along for the ride, my travelling companion of choice would be Rabbi Avraham Abulafia, the father of prophetic (also known as ecstatic) Kabbalah. The other co-pilots I'd love to have on the bridge of this TARDIS-AS would be Rabbi Moshe Cordovero and Rabbi Eliezer of Germiza.
Communication:  I'll send a couple of post-cards once I can build the gates and have made contact with Abulafia.
Risks:
  1. Complete failure (to communicate with Rabbi Abraham Abulafia) 
  2. Lack of sufficient time to dedicate to the project
  3. Insanity. 
  4. Death. 
  5. Insanity followed by Death 
  6. It could take a really long time and I could get distracted by other shiny and curious projects