Tuesday, 4 June 2013

On Why I am Hiding my Library


At the weekend I took my Kindle on a family outing. It was the first time that my wife saw my Kindle and although she was vaguely aware of its existence, was rather curious about its contents. 
There are several collections on my Kindle:
  • Project Management books
  • Books on Computing
  • Metaphysics in English – e.g. Kabbalah, Western Esoteric literature, etc.
  • Hebrew books on Kabbalah, mainly by Abraham Abulafia that I try in vain to translate
It took a couple of years before I was convinced of the value of a Kindle. And now I find myself relying on it more and more. Not because technology reasons but rather social reasons.

You see in my community the study of Kabbalah is something that is frowned upon. You need to of a certain level of learning and observance, if not also of age and family status (married and with kids). There have been many, many great Kabbalists who did not meet the age and family criteria but learning and observance criteria are a must.

Anyway, I’m on a journey to increase in all these areas and have a couple of books on Kabbalah on the shelves that anyone visiting the house can see. However, the other books are hidden away in boxes, in wardrobes and bed-site tables.

source

The problem that I now have is that within a few short years my kids will be proficient enough in reading that they may try to read some of these books. Whilst I do not in principle have an issue with exposing them to the ideas in these books, it’s a question of when and how. Now is too early as they do not yet have a frame of reference to evaluate the information against and grasp the context in which it was written.

So I am forced for now to hide my library further. Some will transfer to a password locked Kindle and the rest will go in to a locked chest. I feel a bit sad about having to hide the books away. But for me finding these books was a journey of (self-) discovery and instead of allowing easy access… My aim is to leave a trail of breadcrumbs so to speak that will enable my children to pursue these studies should they chose to do so at an age when it will be meaningful to them.

In the mean time I will continue to go on trips with them around the psychogeography of London, exploring its wild and varied wild-life and cultivating their imaginations to be a rich tool for future life.

Do you have any advice on how to remove access from my library without having to bury it at the back of the garden?