Sunday, 10 February 2013

Building a TARDIS-AS

When I had this idea initially it sounded so wacky that even I laughed it off, but then it kept coming back in a slightly more refined form each time. Mr. Black made me think of it the first time, but I can't remember which of his posts inspired me.

The idea in a nutshell is as follows: To travel through the spiritual realms with Rabbi Avraham Abulafia.

In slightly more detail I imagine that this might be like travelling in a Dr. Who style TARDIS. Except that it is made up of Hebrew letters, has 221 gates and is able to not only travel in "time and relative dimension in space (TARDIS)" but travel through the dimension(s) of spirit. Instead of taking Dr. Who along for the ride, my travelling companion of choice would be Rabbi Avraham Abulafia, the father of prophetic (also known as ecstatic) Kabbalah.

Unfortunately, as I said before it's such a far -fetched idea that I immediately laughed it off. Also, I've hung up my wizard's hat - plus it would according to my most recent project GANTT chart take at least 5 years to read through enough of Abulafia's texts in Hebrew to 1. connect with the spirit of Abulafia and 2. have a deep enough experiential understanding of Sefer Yetzirah (Book of Creation) to able to make use of the 221 gates (some refer to it as the 231 gates).

Since I don't know where Avraham Abulafia is buried, it's impossible for me to prostrate myself on his grave in the hopes of achieving an ibbur... impregnating my soul with a shard of his. So the next best thing is to study his works. Having spent the last 2+ years studying Hebrew, I'm now starting to move on to his writing, but it is really slow going. If that does not work, I'll take a leaf out of Frater Acher's book and just create an imaginary friend called Avraham Abulafia. Who knows?... He might even turn in to the real deal.

Another crazy idea that I had was to invite him in spirit to help me study his works. Perhaps not so crazy when you consider that Abulafia may well have worked with Philip K. Dick.

Anyway... putting it all together, I came up with the following SWOT analysis:
  • Strengths:
    • Abulafia techniques are proven to work, simply based on how many prominent Kabbalists used his works and eventually even started quoting him directly.
  • Weaknesses:
    • Uh... I've hung up my hat and to be honest, this could be one of the barmiest ideas that I have ever had.
  • Threats:
    • There is enough published material that indicates if my work does not turn in to the twittering of starlings that it could well unhinge my mind or even my mortal coil. I take such threats seriously.
  • Opportunities:
    • Travelling the heavenly realms with Rabbi Avraham Abulafia... come on, if I have to spell that out then I really need to help you understand better what that means.
Given the fact that I have a young family, too little knowledge of Kabbalah and less tolerance for channeling Divine energy than I'd previously assumed... this Trainee Golem Building is unlikely to ascend physically in to another dimension any time soon. Then again... stranger things have happened.


So... what's the craziest idea that you have had since the start of 2013?