|The seer Lady Morella, episode: Point of No Return, series: Babylon 5|
"G'Quon wrote: There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities; it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope. The death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future, or where it will take us. We know only that it is always paved in pain."
G'Kar, Season 3 ending in Z'ha'dum" (accent added by me)
At times in life it would be nice to know what the future holds. Despite many, many people claiming to know the future, few if any that I know of have been consistently proven correct.
In this brief post I will outline two techniques that I think can be used to get a sense of the future. I’ve tried the first and am working on proving the second.
The Destiny of One or Many
Before I outline them I would like to highlight that there is in my view a differences between the future of groups and individuals. The former is how a collection of people bound together by nationality, faith, or identity - ride the tides of history. The latter is about the individual future of a person. That person has a lot more influence over their personal circumstances but they will still rise or fall with the larger group, nation, people, etc.
The Crunchy Stuff
Technique 1: Get a feel for yourself in the Future
This technique is very simple in principle but takes a fair bit of practice depending on how in-tune you are with yourself.
- Relax, focus on your breathing
- Focus your awareness on where you are now, and who you are
- If you imagine your life as a long chain of copies of you stretching back in time, there is another line or lines stretching in to the future. It’s not a straight line in either direction and trying to follow this line is unlikely to get you far.
- Instead try to get a feel for what your emotions are an hour from now, a day, a week or a year from now.
- Strong emotions ripple through time in all directions, if you are in tune with yourself then you may be able to pick up on these ripples and how you are feeling. With enough practice you may even get a sense for WHY you feel this way. If you cannot figure it out, ask your future self.
Technique 2: In Chochmah Consciousness Look Back
This technique is also very simple in principle.
- Use Sefer Yetzirah chapter 1 verse 4 to get an understanding of how to oscillate consciousness between Binah and Chochmah consciousness
- When you are in Chochmah consciousness, the future and past are reversed. So look in to your past in Chochmah consciousness and you will actually be looking in to the future (if you were in normal Binah consciousness)
- Alternatively enter Keter consciousness and all time is happening at the same time. There is only a meta-order that determines the sequence of events that will play out in our everyday world.
Experiencing the Future Gives It Form
In closing, here is my final thought…. I don’t believe that each choice we make creates a parallel dimension. I believe that in the moment of now, there are a huge number of possibilities that we can choose from.
Looking in to the future they all exist in potential but we need to use our free choice to determine which path to go down, either by making an active choice or abstaining from choosing.
Regardless, once the choice is made – all the potential futures at that point collapse and become one actual moment. So rather than creating lots of parallel world, we’re actually taking potential or ghost-like possible futures and with the power of our free will - stamping out one choice as the reality of now.