Tuesday, 30 October 2012

Misadventures in Magic – part 3: Please leave a message...



It's rather petty of me but I like to visit the British Museum in order to gloat. The museum is choc full of ancient civilizations and cultures that have now pretty much died and yet my people live on.

However after walking around looking at various artifacts that are carefully laid out for the passing tourists to look at with amazement, I think about the posts that Gordon of Rune Soup fame and others bloggers have made about visiting the British Museum. That raises the uncomfortable question: how many of these items still have active entities associated with them that have some level of awareness?

The thing is that when it comes to the debate of magicians working with force (energy) or forms (entities, angels, demons, ancestors, spirits, etc.), I'm on the side of people who prefer to work with forces. In fact, until very recently I refused to even acknowledge entities. I'll admit it's a massive blind spot.  

Anyway sometimes when studying late in to the night, I would sense the presence of something in the room. Often the presence was very respectful and waited for an appropriate break in my studies to make me aware of its presence. And just as respectfully I would say aloud: “Please be aware that I do not interact with non-physical entities. If you would like to make contact then please phone me or email me. Oh, and I've stopped following Twitter and Google+”.

Invariably the entity would depart often with some level of confusion about what the hell email and other electronic means of communication might be. Luckily I've never had a problem of something refusing to leave.

Having established that I do not like interacting with non-physical entities but do like to visit the British Museum - you can imagine what happened one day when I walked passed a statue of Sekhmet and she called out to me. I panicked.


In hindsight it was probably quite comical, a trainee golem builder makes the rounds at the British Museum. He peers down to read the inscription near a statue of an Egyptian goddess. He yelps, jumps up and hurries out of the museum mumbling something about finding a priestess who can help restore Sekhmet.

Anyway, I never did go back to that room in the British Museum. In part because I've been too busy to even visit any part of the Museum, but also because I'd like to avoid any other such surprise interactions.

Fortunately a practitioner who knows his stuff has been to the British Museum recently and helped Sekhmet. You can read all about it here, although I recommend that you read the first post here.