Friday, 1 June 2012

Make Yourself a Teacher

In Pirkey Avot (Ethics of the Fathers, part of the Mishnah/Oral law) it says in chapter 1, verse 6:
Rabbi Yehoshua Ben Perachya says, "Make for yourself a teacher and acquire for yourself a friend, and judge each person favourably."
Recently I’ve been feeling that I should get a teacher. Several books I’m reading and “coincidences” that I’ve encountered have all pointed to the simple message: to progress to the next level of experience and knowledge - get a teacher. It’s been on my TODO list for a while.

“Acquire yourself a friend” is checked off on my TODO list. I have a friend with whom I study Sefer Yetzirah chapter 1 regularly; we study the text, practice meditations and share our experiences.

“Judge each person favourably” is something that I failed at quite spectacularly in my last post. I read “Magical Knowledge: Book 1 Foundations”, went to a talk by the author, was upset by some things that were said and promptly made a fool of myself online.

To fulfil “Make yourself a teacher”, I’ve decided to bite the bullet and try the practices described on pages 52-53 in “Magical Knowledge: Book 1 Foundations”.
  • Daily stillness meditation
  • Twice weekly working with element in specific direction
  • Twice weekly visit to inner library
  • Regular physical exercise
On pages 102-103 steps for working with Visionary Magic are spelled out.

Since I find that my ideas rarely progress unless I put them within a project framework, here is the project summary:
Scope: Make Yourself a Teacher 
Time: 1 year plus… 
Cost: Just time.
Quality: Success is measured by whether an inner teacher is willing to teach me and whether I am willing to learn.
Communication: Irregular blog updates, sorry I can’t promise weekly updates :-)
Risks
1. My free time is limited due to work and family commitments 
2. My prejudices, fears and preconceptions may hinder or block the work