Wednesday, 9 May 2012

A time of empathy and regularity

It's hard being a beginner again. That is exactly how it feels this week as I begin a new job. At the same time I've pulled the break on my magical and meditative practice to get back in to the beginner mentality.

For a moment there I was really believing that I could pray for rain until the Olympics and be successful. Now I realise that even if my prayers and rain dance are having some kind of effect on the British weather – that this is not necessarily a positive thing.

Today is Lag BaOmer, the 33 day between the festival of Pesach (Passover, celebrating the Exodus from Egypt) to the festival of Shavuot (Weeks, celebrating the receiving of the Ten Commandments).

It's a 49 day period and each of the 7 weeks represents the lower sefirot of Chesed (kindness), Gevurah (restraint), Tiferet (harmony), Netzach (eternity), Hod (regularity), Yesod (foundation) and Malchut (rulership). Each day of the week is also represented by a Sefirah. Hence the 33rd day is Hod in Hod. In other words, a day of empathy and regularity.

Which is just what I need to get back in regular practice and become aware of the effects of having rain at the wrong time of year that goes on and on and on... So instead I'll pray for the weather to return that is appropriate for this season. Who knows, there may even be some sunshine at the weekend!