Monday, 12 December 2011

New Year, New You: Sharpening Magical Focus


Deb has started a thread which has been pretty successful in going viral. It's a call to action, a kick up the backside to get us all out of our armchairs more often and step up our game.

For me 2011 was largely focused on study, presenting one lecture and for the first time in my very new magical career – carrying out a project to do some practical magic on a weekly basis (to support the Detroit Lions American football team).

Next year my plan is to narrow my focus of study to three topics:
  1. Sefer Yetzirah – the Book of Creation. This is the oldest text of Kabbalah. It's an enigmatic text on which many, many commentaries have been written. It's also a practical text used for meditation that as Rabbi Kaplan puts it: “When properly understood, the Sefer Yetzirah becomes the instruction manual for a very special type of meditation meant to strengthen concentration, and to aid the development of telekinetic and telepathic powers.”
  2. Abraham Abulafia – an awesome 13th century Jewish Mystic. He wrote in detail about how to do Jewish meditation and I'm pinning my hopes on translating some of his works so that I can unlock how to use Sefer Yetzirah and at a future date Sefer Raziel.
  3. Developing the Hacker Mentality – Putting my growing magical toolbox of techniques in to practice in the workplace, in my life in general and the world at large. I'm still pondering what this category means in terms of practical steps.
Since variety is the spice of life, I expect to have numerous digressions in to other topics. However, the three topics above are where my passions lies and they are the fuel that will drive my magical growth for the coming year.