This week the Detroit Lions are playing the San Francisco 49ers. Putting the name of the San Francisco in produced: סן פרנסיסקו
The interesting thing about this for me is that part of the name Francisco is: פרנס
This means "earnings, maintain, support". Which ties in nicely with the name for the city's football team which is according to Wikipedia is due to the 1849 gold rush:
The name "49ers" comes from the name given to the gold prospectors who arrived in Northern California around 1849 during the California Gold Rush. The name was suggested to reflect the voyagers who had rushed the West for gold. It is the only name the team has ever been affiliated with and San Francisco is the only city in which it has resided.The idea of San Francisco being associated with gold linked up with two thoughts that I came across recently:
- "And a river went out of Eden" - Part 1 post at Jacobus Swart's blog
- It's currently the Festival of Sukkot, the time of year when Water (rainfall) is judged
Using this idea of Edenic rivers and combining it with this being a time of year when amount of water to be received is allocated by G-d... made me formulate the following variation on my weekly pre-match meditation:
- Preparation meditation followed by Toning and Tuning from Book of Self Creation
- Two simple meditation techniques using Hebrew aleph-bet
- Angel Meditation (Creating harmony between the four elements) from Eye to the Infinite
- Meditation on the verses in Genesis about the river Pishon, using the head letters in the verse to create a mantra meditation**
- Studying Mishna Sukkot
"The name of the first is Pishon, the one that encircles the whole land of Havilah, where the gold is".
My reading in to this verse is that the Detroit Lions (represented by the river Pishon) will encircle the San Francisco 49ers (represented by Gold). May the mighty Lions surge like a river, encircle the opposition and sweep them away.
Edit: Something I forgot to mention was that meditating in the sukkah felt quite different. I shall look in to meditating outside my house in future. Also, the feeling of being submerged in the Tuning and Toning exercise was stronger than usual.
Edit: Final score Detroit Lions 19 - San Francisco 49ers 25. I need to do a lessons learned exercise to work out how to improve next time.