Wednesday, 5 October 2011

Level up!


It’s been almost a week since this blog got started. I’ve just had a quick browse through the postings in the past year and it’s making my head spin a bit. Rather than do an in-depth lessons learnt review, I’ll use a diagram from a previous post about “Navigating Your Magical Career” to highlight was has changed.

Last year:
Now:

  • Hermetic Kabbalah – no change. I’ve got a bunch of books to read but have yet to prioritize those on the to-read list.
  • Merkava Mysticism Theory – 2 point increase. 1 point due to this Project: Understanding the Merkava User Manual in 2000 pages or less.
  • Jewish Kabbalah Theory – no change. Perhaps when I finish and internalize the information in Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan’s “Inner Space” this could go up by 1 point.
  • Jewish Meditation Theory – 1 point increased. Increased due to books read, lectures attended and face to face meetings with other aspiring Kabbalists.
  • Jewish Meditation Practice – 1 point increase. The project to support the Detroit Lions via meditation and prayer is my first practical application of knowledge gained for non-friend or family members.
  • Hebrew Amulet Writing Ability – 1 point increase. The success of My first amulet writing attempt has yet to be proven. The amulet has been in my travel bag for awhile, but so far I’ve not had call to use it in pressing danger. I'm going to try to create another amulet soon.
  • Golem Building Ability – no change. I’ll admit that I’ve got rather distracted with my studies in Merkava / Chariot / Hekhalot / Heavenly Palaces mysticism. After December I intend to get back to golem building and apply some of my knowledge.
  • Sefer Yetzirah Theory – no change. See golem building ability above.
  • Abulafia meditation in Practice – this is a new category. It encapsulates my desire to translate and make use of the 13th century Kabbalist Abraham Abulafia’s ecstatic / prophetic meditation techniques.

Final note and advert…

I’m giving a talk at the Treadwells bookshop on the 2nd of November 2011 at 7:30pm. The topic of the talk is: “Ritual in Early Jewish Mysticism: Descent to the Chariot and Angelic Adjuration”.

If you’ve never been to Treadwells before and are considering going, here is a handy guide to Treadwells lecture attendance that I wrote earlier.

Treadwells: 33 Store Street, London WC1E 7BS
This is a culmination of the following Project: Understanding the Merkava User Manual in 2000 pages or less.

The outline of the talk is as follows:
1. Setting the Context
  • Chapter 1 of Book of Ezekiel, Outline of different Hekhalot (Heavenly Palaces) texts, Historical period in which this literature arose.
2. Inside the Hekhalot Texts
  • Status of current academic research, focus of each text, preparation techniques for heavenly ascent or angelic adjuration, comparison to shamanistic techniques
3. Deciphering Ezekiel
  • Focus on ritual practice rather than literary constructs, how the 7 heavens fit in to the 10 Sefirot and what the sign-posts are on spiritual ascent